A major Star Wars rumor is circulating on Twitter right now: Rian Johnson may have left Star Wars after all the negative reaction to The Last Jedi.
Website Superbromovies has a short article about Rian Johnson’s alleged departure from Star Wars. With no official announcement at all we can only speculate and wait for confirmation. Until then consider it a rumor. It may not be true after all. All we can say is that late last year, when Bob Iger talked about upcoming Star Wars movie projects, Iger only mentioned Benioff & Weiss and no word was said about Rian Johnson.
We’ll wait to see how this pans out before we’ll accept comments from our readers. Thanks for your patience on this.
UPDATE: Rian Johnson just posted on Twitter that the rumor is false and that he is still working on his Star Wars trilogy.
The Hollywood Reporter recently posted an article about a study that examined tweets directed at Rian Johnson, following the release of The Last Jedi. And the study finds that more than half of all the negative tweets are not by real fans but are either politically motivated by the alt-right or come from Russia in order to sow dissent. I did read the actual paper and if you click through I will provide some additional info.
Please take this with several grains of salt, but a rumor is circulating that Rian Johnson’s Star Wars trilogy may no longer be. Click through for the info that is available!
Congratulations are in order for The Last Jedi, which won three Saturn Awards, an award that honors science fiction, fantasy and horror movies. Click through for the winners and further details!
Before the Solo movie takes over and will dominate the headlines there is one more article about The Last Jedi. Rian Johnson was interviewed by Flickering Myth for the European disc release of The Last Jedi. And Rian Johnson made a remark about the fan reaction. If you want to know what he said, click through!
When The Last Jedi was released one of the questions left unanswered by The Force Awakens was who exactly Rey’s parents were. And Rian Johnson’s movie gave an answer: they were filthy junk traders who sold Rey off for drinking money and they’re buried in a pauper’s grave on Jakku.
Ever since then fans have speculated if that was what JJ Abrams really had in mind when he set up the mystery, or if he had any solution to the mystery at all. Now, actor Simon Pegg was interviewed for a podcast and he shed some light on what JJ Abrams’ plan was. Click through to find out more.
The Last Jedi, despite being a commercial success, is considered by many as the most divisive Star Wars movie ever. You might think Disney and Lucasfilm and all the people involved with the movie would try their best to win back the hearts of the fans who were disappointed with the latest installment of the franchise, especially in light of the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story movie which needs to be a success. And now London based free daily newspaper Evening Standard published an interview with Rian Johnson. And he had a few things to say. Click through to find out what he said.
Luke’s appearance on Crait is one of the touching moments of The Last Jedi. Luke gets a chance to say farewell to Leia. And then walks out to confront the First Order and Kylo Ren. But isn’t there something missing? Yes, there is. Click here to find out what is missing!
British magazine Empire held its Empire Awards ceremony last Sunday. The winners for each category are voted by the readers of the magazine.
And even though it is believed by some that 50% of the fans hate The Last Jedi, at least the British readers of Empire Magazine thought differently and the movie won a couple of awards. Which ones? Click here to find out more!
Website Filmschoolprojects has an article about the “The Last Jedi” making of documentary. In the documentary it is said that Russian Twitter bots actually started a #HuxLive campaign early on to make sure the character won’t be killed in the movie.
Director Rian Johnson is quoted as saying: “It’s amazing, there’s a coordinated effort by these Russian accounts. Hundreds of them.”
Is this the actual reason Hux survives The Last Jedi? I doubt it. Whatever, I wish those Russian Twitter bots had started a #LukeLive campaign instead.
Entertainment Weekly has an exclusive first look at five deleted scenes from Star Wars: The Last Jedi. In addition to descriptions of these deleted scenes, EW also asked Rian Johnson about the scenes in question. The most noteworthy scene that was discussed focused on Luke and Leia mourning the death of Han Solo. Click through to read about the deleted scenes and the comments from Johnson!
Daisy Ridley gave an interview to the French Magazine Le Geek in which she revealed that J.J. Abrams did indeed write story drafts for Episodes VIII and IX.
However, when Rian Johnson started writing the script for The Last Jedi he apparently chose to completely ignore the draft and started from scratch.
Here’s the direct quote from Ridley which was translated from French into English:
“Here’s what I think I know. J. J. wrote Episode VII, as well as drafts for VIII & IX. Then Rian Johnson arrived and wrote TLJ entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way. Rian Johnson and J. J. Abrams met to discuss all of this, although Episode VIII is still his very own work. I believe Rian didn’t keep anything from the first draft of Episode VIII.”
What are your thoughts? Would you have preferred Episode VIII which followed a draft written by Abrams? Of course, nothing is known about the draft. Maybe one day we’ll find out what could have been.
Yes, you read the headline correctly. ILM VFX Supervisor Mike Mullholland recently revealed that a change was made to the design of Kylo Ren’s TIE Silencer after Rian Johnson received an early prototype of the ship’s toy counterpart. Apparently, the original plan was to have the missiles on the underside of the ship but they were switched to the side of the wings since that’s where they were located on the toy version of the ship. So it appears a toy influenced a film in this case. Head over to io9 for the full story!
Lucasfilm has announced that Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films. This new series of films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker films and the new trilogy that is being developed by Rian Johnson. Benioff and Weiss will begin working on the new series of films “as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.” Head over to StarWars.com to read the full statements from Kathleen Kennedy, Benioff, and Weiss. What are your thoughts regarding this latest announcement? Let us know!
Star Wars: The Last Jedi writer-director Rian Johnson responds to the hateful criticism leveled by fans against the film. It’s been quite a roller coaster ride for Johnson and The Last Jedi since its release December 15. The film had the momentum of overwhelming positive reviews from critics going in, which no doubt helped it score an impressive $220 million haul domestically in its opening frame. But while the film skyrocketed toward a $1 billion gross worldwide by New Year’s Eve, grumbling from fans quickly intensified, and some went so far as to create a petition to remove The Last Jedi from the Star Wars canon. ScreenRant has the full story. (more….)
Mark Hamill has revealed the original intended ending for The Force Awakens that Rian Johnson changed. Uh-oh, Mark. Maybe you should seal those lips of yours. Aren’t you in enough hot water with Disney’s legal team for bashing your onscreen character? All kidding aside, check out the article.
Business Insider interviewed Rian Johnson shortly after the release of The Last Jedi. During the interview, Johsnon addressed fan backlash, Luke Skywalker, the lack of Captian Phasma, and the brand new trilogy that he is developing. Johnson provides several interesting and thoughtful answers in this interview. Check it out!
USA Today is surmising that The Last Jedi could have a $200M opening because of the inseparable love for Carrie Fisher and her character Leia Organa by fans. Check out the article and then let us know what you think in our comments.
There is a whole new Star Wars Trilogy coming and Rian Johnson is involved. It is completely unrelated to the Skywalker bloodline too, supposedly. Click through for the formal announcement from Star Wars.com!
Colin Trevorrow’s dismissal from Star Wars: Episode IX has left Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy searching for a replacement, and it looks like they may turn to a familiar face. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Rian Johnson and J.J. Abrams are the top choices to replace Trevorrow. Furthermore, their sources indicate that continued issues with the script led to the Trevorrow’s dismissal. At the moment, Rian Johnson seems like the most likely candidate. Johnson is a well respected writer and may be better suited to finish the script. The word is that Johnson was a perfect fit for The Last Jedi and had a seamless working relationship with Lucasfilm. It makes sense that Lucasfilm would want to work with him again. What do you think about the possibility of Rian Johnson or J.J. Abrams returning to direct Episode IX? Let us Know!
Entertainment Weekly continued their coverage of The Last Jedi by focusing on Leia’s role in the film, her relationship with Oscar Isaac’s Poe Dameron, and Carrie Fisher’s legacy. Click through for more!
We previously reported on an upcoming Marvel comic series featuring Captain Phasma and there is also a new Phasma novel due out on Sept 1st. This seems to be an awful lot of story coming for a character who had nearly as much screen time as the Nightwatcher Worm, but she is supposed to be utilized much more in The Last Jedi and both Gwendoline Christie and Rian Johnson have seen to that by creating her new backstory. More after the jump.
Good Morning America sat down with…well, nearly everyone from The Last Jedi. There’s some interesting things and they’re definitely worth a watch. More after the jump.
Director of The Last Jedi, Rian Johnson, confirmed via Twitter that he will be attending D23 this week. It has been said that there will not be a new trailer shown at D23, but rumors suggest we will be getting a Behind The Scenes reel. We also don’t know in what capacity Rian Johnson will be participating, if at all, in TLJ panel. He could very well just be attending for the sake of attending, however, I think that is unlikely. More on this after the jump!
The Irish Examiner published a couple of articles where Colin Trevorrow made some brief comments on Star Wars: Episode IX when he was speaking with the press association for his latest film, The Book of Henry. Click through to see what the Episode XI Director had to say about our dear Princess.
Mark Hamill generated a lot of conversation after he stated that he fundamentally disagreed with The Last Jedi director Rian Johsnon about direction of Luke’s story. Variety caught up Hamill at the Tony Awards and he clarified his recent comments. Hamill said, “I got in trouble, because I was quoted as saying to Rian that I fundamentally disagree with everything you decided about Luke, and it was inartfully phrased. What I was, was surprised at how he saw Luke. And it took me a while to get around to his way of thinking, but once I was there it was a thrilling experience.” Check out the full video!
Seems as though Colin Trevorrow followed in Rian Johnson’s footsteps and asked for a small favor of the current Star Wars director. Just as Rian Johnson asked J.J. Abrams to have R2-D2 go with Rey to Ach-To and leave BB-8 behind, Colin Trevorrow asked Johnson for a similar favor. Click through to find out more.
-Click HERE to return to the home page-